•▄▀• POSTAGENS MAIS RECENTES

domingo, 14 de junho de 2009

Ticks

[I use] Biospot...one of the only ones that repels ticks as well as kills them. We have alot of deer ticks here, so we can't afford to even have them bite the dogs. So far, even though deer go through our yard, I've never found a tick on a dog. Our peninsula abounds with ticks, and I've gone for walks with the dogs there too...never found a tick or flea on anyone of them.

[Escrito por Marianne em 9 de janeiro de 2006 para a lista Petdogs-L do Yahoo Groups]

I vaccinate for Lyme - my dogs do a lot in the field, we also camp all up and down the east coast with them and do a fair amount of backpacking and stuff with them, so they're thoroughly exposed regularly.

I use Advantix - which both repels the ticks and also kills them. As this product contains pymethrin, you must be careful not to use around cats - it is very dangerous for cats.

Make sure you're using the Advantix every 30 days and make sure you are following the directions. I have had no problems with the ticks and my dogs are in the woods and field all the time.

[Escrito por Denise Parsons em 10 de janeiro de 2006 para a lista Petdogs-L do Yahoo Groups]

I have, most unfortunately, extensive experience with Lyme, which my older rescue Toller ("Rescue") was apparently exposed to before adopting me. I almost lost her, but at age 9+ she's now OK, thanks in large part to a lot of education I received from a list serve moderated by a veterinarian who is an expert on TBDs (tick-born-diseases). The name of [the list] is Tick-L, and if anyone is interested, you can subscribe by typing in an Internet search and take it from there.

While far from an expert, through my experience I've learned some basic things:

1) The Lyme vaccine is highly questionable as to its efficacy, and there are claims that the vaccine actually can induce Lyme symptoms. There is even stronger evidence that re-vaccinating a known infected dog can cause further auto-immune related problems. That being said, while I no longer vaccinate my afflicted dog, I do still vaccinate my young girl who tests negative for Lyme.

2) Picking ticks off dogs is generally not an effective preventive approach--young ticks are the size of poppy seeds, and I've seen some even smaller. Plus, they can attach and insert the culprit bacteria/spirochete before we remove the tick.

3) Ticks are present in every state of the country, every month of the year. Preventive measures need to be applied every month year-round. I live in the frozen tundra of upstate New York and apply Frontline year-round.

4) Prescription topical treatments, properly applied, are a very good defense.

5) SNAP tests are a valid basic screening tool for Lyme, and Doxycycline remains a reliable and safe treatment given in proper dosages and for extended periods of time.

6) The relapse potential for dogs initially infected with Lyme is high, and stress can induce relapses.

In the past two years I've fortunately been able to separate out the myths and misconceptions from the realities and facts. Lyme has been called the "great imitator" and rightly so, and remains a volatile and insidious disease. I am so grateful to have found the appropriate resources and veterinary care for Rescue. But the disease is not like a bout of cold or flu...it has ongoing implications and, as evidenced by Rescue, can have permanent disabling effects.

In younger dogs, most fortunately and with proper detection and management, the impacts are not so severe.

[Escrito por Nancy Tucker em 10 de janeiro de 2006 para a lista Petdogs-L do Yahoo Groups]

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

•▄▀• OUTRAS POSTAGENS NOS LINKS ABAIXO